Wednesday 19 August 2009

Spanner in the works!!!

Well ironically, 2 days after me entering for the Big Fun Run and the half marathon to raise money for Macmillan Cancer Support I got a letter drop through my door informing me I had an abnormal smear test result. The technical term is severe dyskaryosis, in reality this means that there are changes in the cells which could possibly develop into cancer if left untreated. To say I was a little freaked out would be an understatment, but luckily I have good friends and family who helped calm me down!
So last week I had to go to hospital for a Colposcopy and becuase of the severity of cell changes they were removed by diathermy excision. This is sometimes called LLETZ (Large Loop Excision of the Transformation Zone) which is a little like a stick with a circle of wire on the end and an electric current is passed through to 'shave' the cells off :-O

Why am I telling you this? Well, for one it gave me a tiny tiny insight into the panic you must feel at the thought of being diagnosed with cancer - so this has made me even more determined to raise money for Macmillan for where else would most people turn to for help and support? If you can make even a small donatation please visit my Just Giving page where it will be gratefully recieved :-D
Secondly, I want all women out there to realise just HOW important it is to go for regular smear tests and how common it is to get an 'abnormal' result. Thankfully when these cells are caught early enough and treated accordingly there is rarely any further problems. So PLEASE PLEASE ladies, GO for that smear!! It literally could save your life ;-)
For more information please visit Colposcopy.co.uk

So as far as training is going it has bought things to a bit of a standstill - literally!! Bloody Typical!

No comments:

Post a Comment